Monday, July 30, 2012

Missing the rainbows because of the clouds

Ok.  Time for a deep, dark dirty little detail about myself… Smile

I.

Am.

Perky.

I know, I know.  You’ll notice that I said detail and not secret.  It’s kinda hard to keep “Perky” a secret.  In our recent Bible Study one of the questions ask was if you were making a movie about your life who would you want to play yourself and I said Lucille Ball.

While I am not June Cleaver perky I do have a habit of finding the silver lining in just about anything.  So much so that I tend to keep my mouth shut when the “positive” pops into my head because quite frankly people do not always want to know the bright side.  They like to wallow in the dark (another post for another day) or they are just not ready for the “bright side”.

That being said when something happens that I struggle with the bright side it’s pretty serious.  Here recently in my drive back from Gainesville I was talking to God about a problem I was facing.  It was not even my problem it something I needed to be supportive in that I was really struggling with.  While truly feeling I know God’s will and His Word in this situation I was struggling handing it over to God, already taking any possibility of failure on as my own fault and not wanting to relinquish the pressure that put on me.  Even though it involves other people and is totally out of my control other then to be supportive.

So as I am driving home I went through some ideal liquid sunshine (rain and sunny at the same time) and I began to look for rainbows.  As I spotted a faint one I felt God impress on me how easily I could’ve missed the rainbow if I had only  been looking for the gray clouds.  How easily I could forget His promises if I didn’t stay in His Word.

Sometimes we can totally miss the promise of His rainbow because we are so worried about the storm.  We all have moments that we can forget that the simplest promises God has made us because we have so much going on and coming at us.  One of the best things to circulate the web is the What WE say vs.What GOD says.  Here is one I found online and pasted here:

"OUR THINKING vs. GOD'S PROMISES"

MAN/WOMAN: "It's impossible"
GOD: All things are possible (Luke18:27)

MAN/WOMAN: "I'm too tired"
GOD: I will give you rest (Matthew 11:28-30)

MAN/WOMAN : "Nobody really loves me"
GOD: I love you (John 2: 16 & John 13:34)

MAN/WOMAN: "I can't go on"
GOD: My Grace is sufficient (II Corinthians 12:9 & Psalm 91:15)

MAN/WOMAN: "I can't figure things out"
GOD: I will direct your steps (Proverbs 3: 5-6)

MAN/WOMAN: "I can't do it"
GOD: You can do all things (Phillipians 4:13)

MAN/WOMAN : "I'm not able"
GOD: I am able (II Corinthians 9:8)

MAN/WOMAN: "It's not worth it"
GOD: It will be worth it (Romans 8:28)

MAN/WOMAN : "I can't forgive myself"
GOD: I forgive you (I John 1:9 & Romans 8:1)

MAN/WOMAN: "I can't manage"
GOD: I will supply all your needs (Phillipians 4:19)

MAN/WOMAN: "I'm afraid"
GOD: I have not given you a spirit of fear (II Timothy 1:7)

MAN/WOMAN: "I'm always worried and frustrated"
GOD: Cast all your cares on me (I Peter 5:7)

MAN/WOMAN: "I don't have enough faith"
GOD: I've given everyone a measure of faith (Romans 12:3)

MAN/WOMAN: "I'm not smart enough"
GOD: I give you wisdom (I Corinthians 1:30)

MAN/WOMAN: "I feel all alone"
God: I will never leave you or forsake you (Hebrews 13:5)

Storms come.  They can be scary, lonely, some are loud and fast, others are slow and deadly, some are over before you are even aware it rained and other’s seem as if there will never be sunshine again.… The storm is not what we need to focus on…we need to be looking for the rainbow.  The promise God has made us for every storm this world can throw at us.  Remember you are loved by an all-seeing, all-knowing God that never looks away from you, never stops thinking about you and He gave us a rainbow so we would remember His promises.

God Bless!

1 comment: