Friday, May 18, 2012

The danger of a Fake Snake

My dear daughters have a fake snake that they love....
Notice how at a glance you would think it's real?
I am not a lover of snakes.  I tolerate them the way I tolerate... poopy diapers, they are necessary.  I don't want mice running the world and I don't want poop on my carpet.  Just as I prefer the poop stay in the diaper; I prefer that snakes stay outside and even better off my property.  In the 11 years we have lived in this house..I have seen 2 snakes.  It makes me love the place even more.

So...to the point I go! 

As I was doing my before bed prep I noticed the fake plastic snake laying in our hallway.  In all honesty it has gotten me a few times.  I have seen it out of the corner of my eye, poking out of a box in the garage and skipped a heartbeat before I realized it was the fake snake.  One of my girls moved it, it did not move itself(I would tell my self as I was trying to breath through the heart palpatations).  However I find myself growing used to it now and I barely acknowledge it other than the thought that it no longer bothers me.

I realized as I headed for bed that I would not recognize a real snake in my house until I was right up on it if it had the same coloring as the fake one.  I would either be bitten or scared out of my mind thinking I was approaching the harmless fake snake.  So what other fake snakes are there in my home?

What are some of the things that I think are harmless that are truly not?  Even more so what are some of the "high places" that I think I can ignore or that don't affect me because I know they are bad but just by watching it, reading it, talking about it; I am sending a message to my girls that it's not sooo bad because mom watches, reads or talks about it.

We are entering a day and age I never imagined growing up.  A time that we have to worry about the commercials our kids are watching.  Forget the shows that are at least rated now.  The majority of commercials today are about what I can get, what I can take from someone else, how I can be better, stronger and beat my neighbor, sex sells, the way you look outside is super important and knocking people over is ok as long as you're getting what you want and on your way to being the best.  It's about Me, Me, ME.  That is not the will of God.  The will of God is to love your neighbor as you love yourself (Mark 12:31 "The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”).

The things that look deadly but are harmless are the most dangerous of all. They desensitize us to the real threat, making us more vulnerable to it. Making us more likely to walk up on a real snake.  Justifying the entire time that it's just a (commercial, dress, word, tv show...) it's not hurting anyone and my kids, friends, husband are not paying attention to it.  We think that until we get ask a question about the commercial we don't want to answer, see our daughter wanting to dress a way we find unacceptable, hear our toddler say that word to our pastor clear as bell when every other word in her vocabulary only you fully understand, or find our husband watching shows that have more foul language then actual words.  It was harmless until you have to pay the price for allowing it.

So what are your high places?  Your "fake snakes"?  The things in your life that you kind of shrug off.  They're harmless... until they're not.  What are your fake snakes and what will happen when you let your guard down enough not to realize a real one when you see it?



God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment