Thursday, March 8, 2012

This is the first day of the rest of our lives...in a clean house!

So I was over on Stephanie O'Dea's Website and I was inspired by this post about getting started getting control back over your home (she also has some awesome crockpot recipes).  I have to give into the impulse to tell you that my house is not dirty...it's just not orderly.  Right now we have so much outside activity that when I am home I don't want to clean, I am too tired, I just don't have time, Matt sleeps during the day and I don't want to make too much noise even though he constantly tells me that cleaning noise will NOT upset him...

All GREAT excuses.

Now I have used Flylady and that's a great resource for getting started and maintaining but I haven't been able to get motivated.  So in an effort to feel like I am doing something about the messy house without actually having to stand up and get off the couch I decided to read this post.  I am afraid it hit me right in the bread basket and kicked all my excuses out the door.

I hate when that happens!

In her post "Getting Started: A Beginner's Guide to a Clean and Organized Home" she says "The biggest obstacle to overcome in any task is procrastination. In order to start getting your house in order—you need to start getting your house in order. Procrastination is tricky when it comes to orderliness, because sometimes procrastination masquerades itself as cleaning. Do not alphabetize the spice cabinet if you have a mountainous pile of dishes precariously balanced in the sink. Do not worry about cleaning out the garage if you can’t navigate through the family room." Sadly I am guilty of doing exactly that.  I recently reorganized my Kitchen cabinets but can't walk in my laundry room (in my defense it's not a huge laundry room) without stepping on something.  The kitchen cabinets could close so they probably should not have been my first priority.

So today I am going to do the first step she talks about - Getting started NOW.  It's not perfection time - it's action time.  I am not striving for sparkly today - I am simply striving to have everything at least closer to it's proper place.  We can work on the order and organize once there is some room to do it.  I really want my home to be company ready so that if a dear friend called to come over I could glady say SURE...Right now I would have to come up with a somewhat decent excuse why it was not a good day.

Off I go....TTFN

P.S. I just spent 30 minutes designing my new signature.....which is the equivalent to procrastination.

No comments:

Post a Comment